Monday, October 22, 2007


I won't pretend to be an anthropologist, but I'll share a few interesting things I learned about the masai:
-I often saw masai with their two front teeth missing. I was told that when they get very malnurished and dehydrated, their jaws won't open. They knock out the front teeth to poor porriage in to save them. Often, the poorer masai have missing front teeth
-The masai culture revolves around cows. They believe that all the cows in the world were created for them. The number of cows a family owns determines social status
-FGM (female genital mutilation) is common. It is performed two days before marriage. FGM causes many infections and deaths.
-If a masai man wants to marry a masai girl, even as young as 9 years old, he plants a spear outside the family's door and it's done. Men can have several wives.


This is one of the race cars in the rally through the desert. We would se a cloud coming behind us and we would have to pull off the road. The road conditions were horible. We saw one car recently rolled and smashed in the rocks.


This is a Masai warrior. In the background are a few buildings in a compound being built by a Compassion sponsor. It will be a school for girls.

At age 13, a group of boys will be sent to live in the bush for 3 years. Mentor warriors will visit them and teach them how to hunt and survive. The boys create a very tight friendship and brotherhood. They will even share wives. The first to kill a lion becomes the leader of the pack.

2 comments:

RB3Photography said...

They canceled my shoot... after I had paid 211 dollars for the rental of a camera... I'm kinda out of luck... the shoot is post poned 'til next Friday... But I'll have to rent the camera again...

I need to buy my own.

I'm glad to hear that you're finaly on the path.

-R

RB3Photography said...

Such great depth of feild, how'd you get it?